Packwood Haugh was founded by J G Bradshaw at the end of the nineteenth century, opening in the autumn term of 1892 at Packwood in Warwickshire with just five boys and one assistant master. For almost 50 years the school gradually grew and in 1940, when the original school building was requisitioned by the RAF, it moved to its current location at Ruyton XI Towns in Shropshire.
Packwood soon established itself as one of the country's leading prep schools. Academic achievement has always been of major importance; from the very early days academic scholarships were won to many of the major public schools and over the years regular awards for sport, music, art and drama have been added to the list.
Girls joined the school in 1968 and the house and grounds have expanded over the years. The major acquisition, during the headship of Edward Pease-Watkin, was that of Park Farm in 1977 which gave the school a total of 65 acres. Developments since then have included squash courts, the girls' boarding house, the all-weather sports area, a purpose-built theatre, a state-of-the-art sports hall, art room, DT room and IT suite, and even an equestrian cross-country course.